Birth control pills have become one of the most popular forms of female contraception since they were first legalized in the U.S. in the 1960s. According to the CDC, 65% percent of all women of childbearing age use some or the other kind of birth control to avoid pregnancy. What’s more, as many as 99% of women who’ve had sex have used some or other kind of birth control in the past. Many women also choose to use birth control pills in Walmart due to their effectiveness, safety, availability, ease of use, limited side effects, and additional health benefits. That said, it’s no secret that everyone is different. That’s why, besides listing the best options for everyone, we’ve also included a helpful guide for determining the right birth control pill for you.
For that, you’ll need to have an open and honest conversation with your healthcare provider or doctor as well. Since there are many factors to consider when choosing birth control pills, such as health history, BMI, age, etc., we’ve done the legwork for you. Check out the best options, along with a useful guide to choosing the same.
My Choice Emergency Contraceptive Tablet
The My Choice Emergency Contraceptive Tablet is a birth control tablet. This emergency contraception contains the same hormone used in many birth control pills, but at a higher dose. While it shouldn’t be used as regular birth control as it’s not effective, it works within 72 hours of unprotected sex. What’s more, it works even better if you use it within 24 hours of unprotected sex. Not only is it effective, but it’s convenient too. It’s just like Plan B contraceptive pill but at half the cost. Plus, it doesn’t harm an existing pregnancy. One tablet costs approximately 10 USD.
- It’s value for money.
- It’s effective and safe.
- It works even better when taken within 24 hours of unprotected sex.
- It takes time to ship.
Plan B One-Step Emergency Contraceptive
The Plan B One-Step Emergency Contraception helps prevent pregnancy before it begins and after birth control fails or unprotected sex. This tablet needs to be taken within 3 days (72 hours) after birth control failure or unprotected sex. It works better the sooner it’s taken by temporarily delaying the release of an egg from the ovary, also known as ovulation. However, the tablet won’t impact an existing pregnancy and, more importantly, won’t work if one is already pregnant. Also, it doesn’t affect one’s ability to get pregnant in the future. Post taking this tablet, one can and should resume their regular birth control method or begin one as soon as possible.
- You can easily find this tablet in the “Family Planning” aisle at Walmart. You don’t need an ID or prescription to purchase it.
- There’s no age restriction on Plan B.
- If taken as directed, you shouldn’t have any issues.
- It doesn’t offer protection from STDs.
Levonorgestrel 1.5mg Emergency Contraception Tablet
The Levonorgestrel 1.5mg Emergency Contraception Tablet is used to prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex or failure of birth control, such as a broken condom. This pill needs to be taken as soon as possible, within 3 days (72 hours) post unprotected sex. The sooner one takes it, the better it works. While it cannot be substituted for regular birth control, it does reduce the chances of pregnancy after unprotected sex. That said, if you vomit or show any side effects within 2 hours of taking the medication, then do contact your healthcare professional to ascertain whether you should repeat the dose. One tablet costs approximately 9 USD.
- It’s quite affordable compared to other emergency contraceptive pills.
- It works better when taken sooner after unprotected sex.
- It comes from a reputed brand.
- It cannot be substituted for regular birth control.
Take Action Emergency Contraceptive
The Take Action Emergency Contraceptive helps safeguard against any chances of pregnancy that result from unprotected sex or failure of birth control, such as a broken condom. This emergency contraceptive pill could help you regain control in unexpected situations with just a single dose. While it’s not intended to replace regular contraceptives, this can also be taken if you’re already pregnant, as it won’t cause any harm to the unborn child or you. What’s more, the sooner this pill is taken, the more effective it will be. Nevertheless, it needs to be taken within 72 hours or 3 days of unprotected sex or failure of birth control.
- This product has extremely satisfactory reviews on Walmart.
- It can be taken at any age that one is sexually active.
- It won’t harm an existing pregnancy.
- It’s very expensive.
Option 2 Emergency Contraceptive Tablet
Option 2 Emergency Contraceptive Tablet is a 1.5 mg levonorgestrel tablet that’s not only effective but one of the safe birth control pills. It’s ideal for women to reduce the chances of pregnancy after having unprotected sex when one didn’t use birth control or if a contraceptive, like a condom, failed. One needs to take it as soon as possible, within 3 days (72 hours) of unprotected sex. Furthermore, the sooner the pill is taken, the more effective it is, especially when taken during the first 24 hours. However, if one vomits within 2 hours of taking the pills, they need to call healthcare professionals to ascertain whether they should repeat the dose.
- The pills are relatively affordable.
- They work very effectively within the first 24 hours.
- The tablet won’t harm an existing pregnancy.
- It doesn’t work as birth control.
Rugby Levonorgestrel 1.5mg Emergency Contraceptive
The Rugby Levonorgestrel 1.5mg Emergency Contraceptive contains levonorgestrel, which is a hormone that prevents pregnancy. This pill is taken after unprotected sex due to the absence of a contraceptive or the failure of a contraceptive, like a broken condom. Moreover, this pill must be taken as soon as possible, within 3 days (72 hours) post unprotected sex. While it cannot be used as regular birth control, it will not harm an existing pregnancy either. Furthermore, each tablet costs USD 10, which certainly makes this one of the more affordable birth control pills in Walmart.
- The pill costs just 10 USD.
- The sooner it’s taken, the more effective it is.
- It won’t harm an existing pregnancy.
- It can’t be used as regular birth control.
Julie Emergency Contraceptive
Julie Emergency Contraceptive is a morning-after emergency contraceptive pill that helps in an unexpected situation by preventing pregnancy before it begins. When taken within 72 hours (3 days) of unprotected sex, it temporarily delays the release of an egg from the ovary or ovulation. The sooner the pill is taken, the better or more effectively it works. Moreover, it’s easy to use with clear instructions. That said, Julie won’t work if you’re already pregnant. However, it won’t affect your ability to get pregnant at any time in the future and won’t impact an existing pregnancy either.
- The pill works more effectively when taken within 24 hours of unprotected sex.
- It has very clear instructions.
- It won’t impact an existing pregnancy.
- Some women might experience some side effects.
AfterPill Emergency Contraceptive
The AfterPill Emergency Contraceptive offers a quick solution that women can count on. This single-dose, over-the-counter emergency contraceptive product works to prevent pregnancy when taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex. What’s more, it can also be taken if you used contraception, but it didn’t work, like a broken condom. Plus, the quicker the pill is taken after intercourse, the more effective it is within the first 24 hours of unprotected sex. The best bit? While it cannot be used as regular birth control, it will also not harm an existing pregnancy.
- It comes in secure packaging to ensure safety and quality.
- It’s a helpful addition to backup methods.
- Its efficacy increases when taken within the first 24 hours of unprotected sex.
- It’s slightly expensive.
PostDay One-Step Morning After Pill Emergency Contraceptive
The PostDay One-Step Morning After Pill Emergency Contraceptive comes from a trusted and recognized brand. It’s an emergency contraceptive pill that temporarily delays ovulation, thus preventing a possible pregnancy. It basically temporarily delays the release of an egg to meet the sperm, hence preventing fertilization and, thus, pregnancy. What’s more, it doesn’t affect anybody’s future plans to get pregnant and doesn’t require a prescription either. Furthermore, you need to take it as soon as possible, within 72 hours or 3 days of unprotected sex. The sooner you take it, the more effective the pill will be, especially if you take it within the first 24 hours.
- It doesn’t affect an existing or future pregnancy.
- The sooner you take it, the more effective it will be.
- It’s from a recognized and trusted brand.
- It’s slightly expensive.
How To Choose The Best Birth Control Pills at Walmart?
Besides speaking with your healthcare physician, you also need to know about birth control pills and how to go about choosing them, which we’ve explained in a detailed guide below:
Types of pills
There are two main kinds of birth control pills, which is the mini-pill and the combination birth control pills. The mini-pill contains only progestin and doesn’t offer as many choices as combination pills. In every pack, all pills are active and contain the same amount of progestin. The combination birth control pills, on the other hand, contain both progestin and estrogen. What’s more, there are a wide variety of such pills to choose from. This depends on the dose of hormones best for you and how often you want to have periods. It’s best that you consult with your doctor about this cycle.
How they work and usage
There are birth control methods that you can get only from pharmacists/nurses/doctors, and there are some you can get without prescriptions. The former birth control pills, while the latter includes emergency contraceptive pills.
- Progestin-only pills: These come in only packs of 28, and you need to take just one pill at the same time every day. The progestin-only pills tend to work quicker than combination pills. So, after taking 2 consecutive pills within 48 hours, you’ll be protected against pregnancy. You should use a barrier method of birth control if you don’t want to wait 48 hours to have sex.
- Combination pills: These pills come in a variety of formats, including monthly packs that follow 28, 24, and 21-day cycles. In fact, there are extended regimens that follow 91-day cycles too. Notwithstanding the formats, you need to take one pill every day at the same time. You’ll be protected against pregnancy when you begin taking the combination pill within 5 days after your period begins. If you begin at any other time, then you need to take them for 7 continuous days before you’re protected. Also, you need to use a barrier birth control method during this time, like an external condom.
Should I avoid certain medications while taking the pill?
You need to always check with healthcare providers before beginning herbal supplements or new medications. That’s because some drugs could lessen the effectiveness of the pill, increasing pregnancy chances. These include medications for treating HIV, herbal supplements, and antiseizure medications.
What should I do if I miss a pill?
You need to take it as soon as you remember and continue taking the usual dose as has been planned. Also, you might need to use backup birth control until you’ve taken 7 days of the active pills.
How soon does the pill work?
The pill can be taken up to 7 days to begin preventing pregnancy.