I don’t know about your kid, but mine sure loves bags. He’s not old enough for school yet, but he always wants to have his own bag whenever he sees kids wearing theirs. That’s why I decided to look for the best backpack for preschoolers. This kind of backpack is great as it can help preschoolers train their sense of ownership. In addition to that, it also means I’ll have fewer things in my bag as my kid can finally carry his own. But since there are countless options available on the market, which one should you consider? We’ve done the hard work and handpicked some of the top models available. They’re not only adorable but also highly functional. Keep scrolling to learn more about them!
Table of contents
- YUPING Toddler Dinosaur Backpack
- ArcEnCiel Kid’s Backpack
- Yisibo Toddler Backpack
- VASCHY Preschoolers Backpack
- JanSport Half Pint Mini Backpack
- Urban Infant Toddler Backpack
- Fjällräven Kånken Mini Backpack
- WHITE DOLPHIN TOYS Busy Board Backpack
- Naturally KIDS Backpack
- KK CRAFTS Toddler Backpack
- Skip Hop Toddler Backpack
- John Deere Toddler Backpack
- Wildkin Kids Backpack
- Our Verdict!
- How To Choose The Best Backpacks for Preschoolers
- What size backpack for a preschooler?
- Does a preschooler need a backpack?
- Can a 2-year-old wear a backpack?
YUPING Toddler Dinosaur Backpack
The first preschoolers’ backpack on this list is the YUPING Toddler Dinosaur Backpack. This bag features a dinosaur tail, and that alone should be enough to convince you to get this bag! My kid isn’t a fan of dinosaurs, but even he admitted that this bag looks cute. Plus, it’s available in a wide array of different colors!
Despite being petite, the interior of this backpack is surprisingly big. During testing, I was able to fit my kid’s books, snacks, and other small essentials. On top of that, it comes with a detachable leash. It’s super useful! Thanks to the leash, I was able to keep my boy nearby at all times.
- The 3D dinosaur design is adorable.
- Just like some of the best drawstring bags for kids, it’s extremely lightweight.
- There’s an option that doesn’t come with a tail, giving you plenty of styles to choose from.
- It lacks extra compartments.
ArcEnCiel Kid’s Backpack
Let your kid show their attitude by wearing the ArcEnCiel Kid’s Backpack! This is an adorable grumpy robot bag that has everything toddlers need. What caught my attention the most when I first encountered this bag was the number of compartments. There are two front compartments that can be used to store keys, wallets, snacks, and others. Better yet, the smaller compartment is insulated.
Meanwhile, on the side, there’s one small zipped pocket, and on the other is a mesh pocket for a water bottle. The main compartment is nothing short of big, and it can even fit a folder. For comfort, the back of the backpack is well-padded, and the shoulder straps are really comfortable as well.
- Adorable robot design.
- There are plenty of compartments.
- It offers high-quality features without a steep price tag.
- The quality of the zippers can be improved.
Yisibo Toddler Backpack
Some kids have a pretty unique taste. And if your little boss baby loves something bold and striking, we’re sure they’ll go crazy for the Yisibo Toddler Backpack. This green backpack comes with orange dinosaur spikes, which are the highlight of the backpack. Despite its appearance, the spikes are actually soft.
Moreover, the main compartment is bigger than expected, which is good. As a parent, one of the last things I want to do is deal with dirty bags. Luckily, this bag is made of neoprene fabric, which is easy to clean. And if your kid doesn’t fancy dinosaurs, maybe you can get them the Hippo variant!
- This bag has one of the most unique designs.
- The main compartment is big enough for books, diapers, and snacks.
- The adjustable straps are soft and comfy.
- This backpack might look too much for some kids.
VASCHY Preschoolers Backpack
Don’t let the picture fool you! I also initially thought the VASCHY Preschoolers Backpack was made for older kids. However, once I had a closer look at it, it actually looked just right for toddlers. It’s not the biggest, but it’s big enough to store all of the preschool essentials.
Furthermore, the quality of the zippers is nothing short of impressive. My kid never had a problem opening and closing the bag using the zippers. In addition, I also appreciate the side pockets, allowing toddlers to bring their favorite water bottles along. Best of all, there are tons of different designs to choose from.
- All of the available designs are eye-catching.
- The canvas material is durable.
- It comes with a big front compartment.
- The top strap feels a bit flimsy.
JanSport Half Pint Mini Backpack
Best Versatility. Who doesn’t know JanSport? It’s one of the most iconic backpack brands to ever exist! I used to have one that I used for years. They may not be the flashiest option, but JanSport backpacks are among the most versatile and timeless options. That’s why we include the JanSport Half Pint Mini Backpack. Whether for study or travel, this preschoolers backpack will surely become your toddler’s favorite.
Just like the regular model, this mini backpack is made of long-lasting polyester with zipper closures. Though small, I could easily keep my son’s books and all of his essentials inside. Also, I would usually use the front compartment to keep his snacks. And if solid colors are too boring, you can opt for more eye-catching prints.
- I think it’s the most versatile backpack on this list.
- This backpack offers superb durability without the premium price tag.
- Its simple design makes it suitable for both girls and boys.
- The simple design of this backpack might not attract toddlers.
Urban Infant Toddler Backpack
I’m sure parents looking for the best backpack for kindergarteners would be impressed by the Urban Infant Toddler Backpack. When I first saw this bag, I thought it was just like other regular backpacks. But after a closer look, I understood why it’s loved by kids. That’s because this backpack comes with a brilliant feature, which is a vertical side tube that can be used to carry artwork. Pretty creative, isn’t it?
Aside from the side tube that lets kids take their artwork home without damaging them, I also love the main compartment. I was actually shocked by its size. Also, one of the sides of the bag features a mesh pocket, which is perfect for a water bottle. And last but not least, it’s available in a wide variety of different prints.
- You can customize the bag by adding your kid’s name.
- It’s the perfect choice for kids who love drawing.
- The main compartment is surprisingly big.
- The quality of the stitching isn’t the best.
Fjällräven Kånken Mini Backpack
Most Premium. Yes, the Fjällräven Kånken Mini Backpack may not be an affordable preschoolers backpack. However, the quality of this backpack is second to none. I own a regular Kånken that I’ve been using for years and it has yet to show any signs of wear and tear. This backpack is the same. Perfect for our precious little kids, this backpack is lightweight yet durable.
“This mini backpack is perfect for preschoolers. The size is just nice for my 3-year-old son, and it’s exceptionally sturdy.”Keedoz
One of the highlights of this bag is its material. Made of water-resistant nylon, this bag is built to handle any adventure. The main compartment is big for toddlers, and it’s secured with sturdy and smooth zippers. And despite its petite size, it can actually fit a lot. Just watch this video!
- This high-quality backpack is made by one of the most prominent backpack brands.
- It’s available in a wide array of solid colors.
- The fabric is water-resistant.
- It may look too boring for some toddlers.
WHITE DOLPHIN TOYS Busy Board Backpack
Most Interactive. When I first discovered the WHITE DOLPHIN TOYS Busy Board Backpack, I immediately knew it’ll be a popular choice for parents and kids. That’s because this fun backpack comes with an interactive toy. From the buttons to the laces, everything on the front of the bag is designed to keep toddlers busy and engaged.
Don’t worry, as the main compartment of this backpack is roomy enough for toddlers’ books and lunch boxes. In addition to that, I also love how soft the shoulder straps are. Also, keeping this bag clean is a breeze since it’s machine washable. My kid said the bag was so much fun, and we’re sure your little angel will agree.
- This unique backpack comes with sensory toys that’ll excite kids.
- The main compartment is huge.
- Toddlers who are learning to count can take advantage of the numbers on the shoulder straps.
- The fun design of this backpack may be too much for younger toddlers.
Naturally KIDS Backpack
If you think my previous pick is cute, you’ll love this one even more! The Naturally KIDS Backpack is an adorable preschoolers’ backpack that comes with, as you can see from the picture below, a stuffed toy. The most popular variant is the one that comes with a dinosaur doll, but there are also others that come with frog, giraffe, mouse, and other animal dolls.
While it’s cute, I was initially worried about the space of the main compartment. But I was relieved when I saw that the space inside was big. Kids can even take off the toy from the front diaper and keep it inside. Whoever designed this bag truly deserves an award. For more similar options, check out Naturally KIDS’ official website!
- Surprisingly, the doll is of high quality!
- There are plenty of dolls to choose from.
- It can be used by both girls and boys.
- Unfortunately, it lacks extra compartments.
KK CRAFTS Toddler Backpack
What we have here is the KK CRAFTS Toddler Backpack, one of the cutest backpacks available on the market. First of all, I have to talk about its biggest selling point. Unlike most toddler backpacks, this one is waterproof! If you live in an area where it often rains, this backpack should be your go-to option. That way, even when it rains, your toddler’s books and belongings won’t get wet. I’ve tested its waterproof effectivity before and I can assure you that none of the books inside the bag was wet.
When it comes to the material, this backpack is proud to be PVC, BPA, and phthalate-free. Also, you won’t believe how lightweight it is! I was shocked when I found out that it’s only 0.57 lbs. And despite being lightweight, this backpack can carry a lot when compared to other similar-sized bags.
- With a roomy front compartment, toys and snacks can be accessed easily.
- The shoulder straps are extremely soft.
- There’s a plethora of different animal designs to choose from.
- May be too small for bigger toddlers.
Skip Hop Toddler Backpack
Most Adorable. The cuteness of this Skip Hop Toddler Backpack is simply out of this world. Just look at the picture below! How can your heart not melt for this adorable preschoolers backpack? This bag is available in countless different designs that resemble cute animals. I also love the little whimsical details like the butterfly antennae!
This is more than just a cute bag. Made of polyester, this bag will easily last for years. I was also thrilled when I saw the side pockets. With them, toddlers will be able to access their water bottles easily and keep themselves hydrated. Also, there’s a zipped front compartment that can be used to store little items like toys, colored pencils, and even snacks. By the way, did you know that Skip Hop also makes some of the best eco-friendly diaper bags?
- The main compartment has enough space for small books.
- With a name tag on the inside of the bag, you don’t have to worry when the bag is lost.
- There are so many adorable designs to choose from.
- It may not be big enough for some people.
John Deere Toddler Backpack
The John Deere Toddler Backpack is a simple backpack that gets the job done. It may not have the bells and whistles like some of its competitors, but it is good enough for toddlers. Also, this bag is one of the cheapest ones you can get out there. At first, I thought the quality of this bag will be bad. Luckily, I was wrong.
Made of 100% polyester, this bag is surprisingly sturdy and durable. There’s a convenient front pocket that you can use to keep your kid’s toys and snacks, and the main compartment is spacious enough for all of their school supplies. I was also happy when I found a name tag inside the bag. So, when it’s lost, people can return it to your kid!
- It’s one of the cheapest bags that don’t sacrifice quality.
- The zipper is surprisingly smooth and durable.
- It’s more spacious than expected.
- The shoulder straps aren’t the most comfortable.
Wildkin Kids Backpack
Best Overall. With so many amazing options on the market, looking for the perfect best backpack for preschoolers can be challenging. However, I think the Wildkin Kids Backpack is overall the best option. It ticks all the right boxes without being too much. At just 12 inches, I think this bag will be suitable for most preschoolers. Yes; it’s small, but according to my testing, it can fit most preschooler’s stuff.
I also love the design of this backpack. Aside from its bright and attractive look, it’s also designed with a front pouch that can be used to store a lunch box. It’s a nice addition, especially if your kid’s lunch bag is being washed. My kid drinks a lot, and lucky for us, this bag comes with a side pouch for water bottles. It makes accessing the water bottle a piece of cake.
- It’s a simple and easy-to-use backpack that ticks all the right boxes.
- There’s a front compartment for lunch boxes.
- The bright and attractive design is a huge plus.
- Not the most interactive option on the market.
From cute to versatile options, our list of the best preschooler backpacks is nothing short of impressive. There’s an option for all kinds of preschoolers. Although, we have to admit that the Wildkin Kids Backpack has to be our favorite. It has a nice design that’s loved universally and all the features that kids need. However, the rest are just as good, depending on your needs. That’s why we’ve categorized some of them according to the following criteria:
- Most Adorable: Skip Hop Toddler Backpack
- Most Interactive: WHITE DOLPHIN TOYS Busy Board Backpack
- Most Premium: Fjällräven Kånken Mini Backpack
- Best Versatility: JanSport Half Pint Mini Backpack
How To Choose The Best Backpacks for Preschoolers
With thousands of options on the market, not all preschooler backpacks are created equal. When looking for the best one, make sure to consider the following:
Just like our backpacks, backpacks for preschoolers are also available in different sizes. So, you should get something that fits your kid well. That said, I recommend going with something small and lightweight, so your kid won’t have a problem carrying it around.
The backpack will maybe be one of the things that your kid uses very often. Hence, it should have a high degree of durability. It’s totally okay to get a cute bag. However, you shouldn’t sacrifice durability over aesthetics. The zippers should be smooth and big enough for little hands, the sewing should be strong, and the fabric should be reinforced.
Most preschooler backpacks are usually available in cute and bright designs. Some even come with funny patterns and characters. Getting a distinct and easy-to-spot backpack can help you spot your little one better and faster.
What size backpack for a preschooler?
The size of a preschooler backpack shouldn’t be too big for your kid. According to pathways.org, the backpack shouldn’t weigh over 10-15% of your child’s body weight.
Does a preschooler need a backpack?
It depends. It’s certainly not a must. However, giving preschoolers a backpack can help them train their sense of ownership, which can also help them go a long way.
Can a 2-year-old wear a backpack?
Of course! Kids can wear a backpack as long as they can walk steadily.